March 26, 2018- The proposed ICBC Injury caps will not affect claimants that are injured before January 1, 2019. If this change becomes law ICBC claimants suffering soft tissue injuries can expect ICBC to deny their claims or limit compensation to $5,500 for pain and suffering.
Allowing ICBC to limit payments of pain and suffering awards to $5,500 for “minor” claims will be bad in the following ways:
1. Eliminate rights of the injured giving ICBC more power to protect bad drivers;
2. Allowing bad ICBC drivers to pay less for denying quality of life to private citizens;
3. ICBC not accountable for past financial mismanagement;
4. ICBC will be allowed to blame the injured for corporate failure;
5. Quality of life will not be a paramount goal in this system;
6. Injury caps unfairly harm the poor, the elderly, the retired, immigrant communities and BC’s working class;
7. Injury caps deny access to justice because no legal advocate is provided when ICBC deems an injury minor.
A better solution to remedy ICBC’s financial shortfall is to: Increase coverage for treatment for quicker injury recovery and; Limit ICBC powers to providing accident benefits not defending bad drivers.
Importantly, Quality of Life has value and if you agree you will oppose caps on ICBC compensation for personal injury. Call or email your MLA.
"Renn A. Holness is a gifted lawyer and author to over 1000 legal blog articles. Married father of two daughters, son of a neurosurgeon and founder of Holness Law Group."
Jacqueline Small is diligent, professional, and compassionate. She went above and beyond when I was injured in a motor vehicle accident. Anytime I had questions she would respond quickly and always seemed to be one step ahead. I called several accident law firms and none were as knowledgeable and sincere as Jacqueline. Highly recommended!
I would totally recommend this law group. Renn handled my case with the utmost professionalism kept me informed throughout and explained in easy to understand layman's terms. I am very happy with how things worked out. I would highly recommend if you ever need a lawyer to contact him. Great job and a big thank you to all.
Over a period of 4 years Jacqueline Small guided me throughout the entirety of my personal injury claim after a motor vehicle accident left me with chronic pain. My experience was pleasant, professional, thorough, and communication was always open. I was treated with care like a person and not just a case. Jacqueline was with me every step of the way until we reached a settlement with the insurance company. 10/10 I would recommend to any friends or family.